February - March 2012

(24th February to 4th March 2012)


I decided to write a journal, for 3 reasons:

1st - it's fun!

2nd - Vacations just whiz by and you quickly forget what you did. *s*

3rd - To share with friends and family.



Thursday Evening, 23rd February 2012, 4h00 p.m. - Vacation STARTS!!!:


Drove home, from work and it was mild outside - raining even!  Who cares?  I'm beginning my vacation!

Stopped off at "Olsen's" for a French loaf - Gilbert's gonna make French Onion Soup and "Caboches aux Four".


Then, before heading home, I picked up 2 Timmies!


We had a quilty friend come to visit us, around 5 p.m.


Supper was on the table around 6h30 p.m. and Gilbert snapped this picture and used one of his fancy smancy programs to change the picture....  *grin*


(Souper Caboches)




We watched TV for a bit and hit the sack around 11h00 p.m.



Friday, 24 February 2012


Woke up around 7h30 and slurped our coffee while checking our emails and reading on-line news. *s*


Around 8h30 a.m., we headed downstairs.  Gilbert loaded up my "Easy Peasy" quilt on "Bertha" and I went into my Sewing Studio to work on the Snow People quilt.


Easy Peasy Quilt



We had 3 quilty visitors this morning!  They're calling for a snow storm this evening and tomorrow - I think that's why our 3 quilty friends came over this morning. *grin*


Noon time, we had a salad, small speghetti, bread and a piece of blueberry bread.... it's like a banana bread only it's made with blueberries.


3h00 p.m. - I was at my work to meet with one of our Directors.  He had an important document to give me from our National Office.  From there, I came home with 2 Timmies (Tim Horton coffees) - I felt I desserved it!  :-(


4h30 p.m. - Gilbert and I left to do grocery.


5h30 p.m. - Arrived home, un-packed groceries, started our pizza and I took a picture of Gilbert playing with HIS iPhone, while waiting for our pizza to cook.



Supper finished, we headed upstairs and watched TV.... and I wrote my "Vacation Journal".


(more to come......)




Saturday, 25 February 2012


6h15 a.m. - Got up fairly early, headed downstairs and grabbed coffee.  Started to clean out my email box.  I had approx. 4300 emails... and more in special folders!


9h00 a.m. - Gilbert asked if we were going to start working on the wine bottling.  DARN!  I had forgotten about that, once again!  LOL



2h00 p.m. - Wine is all bottled. 


Afterward the wine bottling, I headed downstairs and trimmed my Easy Peasy quilt.  Then, I cut, ironed and sewed the binding - both sides of this quilt.  I just need to add the label, now.


3h30 p.m., I decided that I had enough of budgetary cuts .... every now and then a person's gotta splurge, right?  I headed off to Tim Horton's and got us each a coffee.


Gilbert came downstairs around 4 p.m. and cleaned and oiled Bertha and got the bobbins of thread made up for tomorrow's quilting.


6 p.m. - Supper, after which we headed upstairs to watch some TV.  I finished a Dear Jane appliqué block.


Went to bed around 11h30.



Sunday, 26 February 2012


Got up fairly early, slurped coffee and did some laundry.


Gilbert and I headed downstairs around 9h30 a.m.  He worked on a new quilt, with Bertha and I went into my Sewing Studio.


I washed my C-Pap attachments and left them out to dry.  I also cleaned our kitchen door window.


Put the label on my Easy Peasy quilt and sewed 2 pieces of fabric for the backing of my Snow People quilt.  I also added some green (scrap) strips of fabric to the Snow People quilt and took pictures, to show on my e-newsletter how a quilt should be prepared, for Longarm quilting.



In the meantime, I went to Subway and picked up 2 veggie subs, for dinner.


In the afternoon, we had one of our quilty clients drop in, with her hubby.  *s*


All of the above sounds like not much but by the time I left my Sewing Studio, it was 4h30(?) and time for supper.


Gilbert re-heated one of our veggie pies, in our oven, along with some French fries.  As it was Sunday evening, he had his martini and I decided to have a glass of cinzano.


After supper, we headed upstairs and watched "Storage Wars", on TV.  They had another marathon.


Gilbert was nodding off at 9h45 p.m. and I went to bed around 10h30... and, in bed, read my latest e-book, "Sealed Correspondence", which is a cross between The DaVinci Code and The National Treasurer... LOVE IT!!!



Monday, 27 February 2012


Woke up around 7h00 a.m. and went downstairs to grab coffee and sit my butt in front of my HP Touch Pad and read some more of my e-book.  I'm a hopeless case - If I am truly absorbed and LOVE a book.... I simply can't stop thinking about it and READ as much as possible.... everywhere and anytime!


I was at 80% of the book when I decided that I HAD to shut it and update this journal and DO something else!... Besides, it's now 9h30 a.m.!!!


Headed downstairs and started to do some tidying up, in my Sewing Studio.  After I finish a project, or two, I like to put away the bigger pieces of fabrics and cut the smaller pieces into strips.


Well, I started doing that and then, picked up Bonnie Hunter's book, picked out a perfect pattern for 9 patch blocks and started sewing these up. I LOVE doing this - it's so relaxing!


Anyhow, dinner came and went as well as supper.  I managed to do a last load of laundry, before supper.... that was left over from yesterday.


After supper, we headed upstairs to watch TV.


Snow is falling rather heavily this evening. Not sure if we'll be able to do our errands tomorrow.


Went to bed around 11h30... read my book for 10 minutes and then, I was out light a light!



 Tuesday, 28 February 2012


Woke up around 5 a.m., read my e-book in bed and then, at 6 a.m., I had enough!


Got up, got dressed and headed downstairs into my Sewing Studio.  Worked on cutting up 2" strips and making 9 patch scrappy blocks.


Around 11 a.m., Gilbert headed outside to shovel what had fallen throughout late yesterday afternoon and during the night.


12 noon, we left to gas up the car and then went to Value Village - it's a 2nd hand clothing, furniture and odds 'ends kinda store.  Didn't find anything that we liked.


From there, we went to the Chinese Queen Buffet.  Ate too much... which is a given considering it IS a buffet. *s*


From the restaurant, we went to Home Depot. Gilbert was looking for some plexiglass - found it but the price was outrageous, according to him.  And he wanted a thin strip of metal strapping, to hold down a piece of oil cloth.  They didn't have any there, unfortunately.


While we were there, one of our quilty friends called us on Gilbert's cell phone.  She and her friend wanted to come over to our home around 3h30.  Sooo, we left Home Hardware and scooted back home.


We got home and I went back into my Sewing Studio, waiting from them to arrive.  Gilbert finished the quilt that he was working on.


(picture of my 9 Patch Scrappy Blocks)



Well, since we ate a big dinner, Gilbert and I weren't really that hungry for our supper meal.


We headed upstairs around 7 p.m. and once more, watched some TV.


I was in bed by 1 a.m.   For some reason, I wasn't tired....



P.S.  We didn't go to Imperial Theatre for that quilt exposition 'cause of the fallen snow and we knew that parking would be bad uptown.   And, we didn't go to Costco, either 'cause our quilty friend was showing up.  These 2 activites are put off till Saturday.



Wednesday, 29 February 2012


7 a.m. - Woke up with the sun shining in the bedroom!  Went downstairs and brought back coffee upstairs... surfed the net, read emails and updated my journal.


One of our quilty friends came to visit, this morning.


(studio's all tidied up and waiting for me to spread some Batik fabric all over!  Design wall's bare, as well.)


(writing this Friday morning, as I forgot to update my journal).


After I tidied up the studio, I pulled out my completed batik blocks, my batik fabric tote and re-started working on them.


Gilbert finished a quilt by 1 p.m. and pulled out my "Stop and Smell the Roses" quilt.  He pinned the quilt to Bertha and we discussed what quilting design should go on it.


Had supper, once again... and ..... once again.... watched TV in the evening.



Thursday, 1 March 2012


(writing this Friday morning, as I forgot to update my journal).


Got up around 7h00, went downstairs and stayed downstairs, with my coffee.  And I think THAT'S why I didn't update my Vacation.


Once again, I worked on my Batik Blocks and I think, by the end of the day that I have 14(?) blocks completed.  Mind you, I need 30 of them.


I also started sashing the completed blocks and I didn't want to get stuck with that boring job, at the end.


Gilbert and Bertha, in the meantime continued working my on my "Stop and Smell the Roses" quilt.  Since this is a custom job and there's a lot of small meandering and there will be stippling, as well, he decided to stop around 3h30.  He didn't want to make a mistake and he was getting tired.


Supper was pita pockets and they were delish!


Since there wasn't much on TV, I went to our corner store and picked up the movie "50/50".  It was an EXCELLENT and different kind of movie.  We both enjoyed it.


In bed by 11h00 p.m.



Friday, 2 March 2012


Woke up at 7h15 and by 7h45, I was sitting in front of my computer with my coffee, reading emails and posting on my blog.


In the morning, Gilbert started to do our monthly computer backup.


Well, around 9h00, we headed downstairs and I worked on my Batik Quilt and Gilbert continued to work on my "Stop and Smell the Roses" quilt.


(before stippling)


(after stippling)


We stopped for dinner and then, continued on in the afternoon.


One of our quilty friends stopped by, around 3h30.


We closed the Studio and Bertha's room around 5h00 p.m.


(Design Wall)


In the kitchen, around 6h00, where we built our famous-to-us home made pizza and it was DELISH, as usual!




We watched a movie on TV, later on.


In bed by 11h00 p.m.



Saturday, 3 March 2012


6h15 - Wide awake. Headed out to Tim Horton's for 2 "large" coffees and a couple toasted bagels.  Yummy!


While sipping coffee, I updated my Blog and my Vacation Journal.


9h15 a.m. - We headed out the door to do our Saturday errands. 


First stop, was the bank.


We then went to Costco and picked up a full trunk of food!


From there, Walmart. I needed some undies, a new fabric (rotary) cutter and a paper piecing tablet while Gilbert needed new slippers.  We also picked up to bags of polyester batting, at a decent price, even!  They have no more fabric but they, fortunately for us, have batting.  Go figure, eh?


11h30 - We were getting hungry.  We decided to go eat at Boston Pizza.



While at the restaurant, one of our quilty friends called us on Gilbert's cell phone.  We needed to call her, once we got home. She wanted to visit with us!  *grin*


So, after our scrumptious meal, we then headed off to the Imperial Theatre, where 2 of our local quilters were exposing their quilts.  These artistic quilts were incredible!!!


(Quilt Artist - Sandra Betts)


After the Quilt Show, we picked up some Quinoa and 2 pieces of lemon pie from the "Urban Deli" - Take out, for supper tonight.


We then went home, unpacked and put away our purchases and then we called our quilty friend.  She came over almost right away and we had a nice chat with her!  *s*


After she left, Gilbert worked and finished my "Stop and Smell the Roses" quilt and I made a Log Cabin batik block and sashed yesterday's 2 new blocks and the Log Cabin, as well.




5h30 - It was time for supper.  Caesar salad and Quinoa salad - YUMMY!!!


6h45 p.m. - Upstairs, with a glass of water and ready to watch a movie.  I plan on working on my hand sewn, hexagon quilt.  I haven't touched those stars in AGES!!!


(more to come)



Sunday, 4 March 2012



1 p.m. - 3 p.m.: Dear Jane Group get-together.

Afterwards:  Sunday laundry.




If you enjoyed reading about me and my adventures,

I gratefully accept donations: